Tuesday, June 24, 2014

You Can Take This Co-Worker, and Shove Him... Off a Very High Cliff

Before I begin my entry in earnest, I'll only have a bit of real life to sort of vent about, and a side reading recommendation.  So, let's get "real":
As of late, anxiety seems to be my general status, worrying about all the employment applications I send out, whether they'll actually result in an interview, whether an interview will lead to actual employment... I cannot state this enough; if it weren't for this creative endeavor, my family/friends/loved ones, and my continued interest to keep on reading those "cawmick books", I'd probably be so far gone in my neuroses in making ends meet, I'd probably tear through strait-jackets like the Kool-Aid Man does brick establishments.  So, I'll see to keep on trying, and hopefully any good vibrations sent my way would be greatly appreciated. 

Now on to the quick reading recommend!
I picked this up from the library at random, because the Sci-Fi premise looked rather interesting, and I'm all about Doug Braithwaite's artwork.  (He did have a very unique style during my early introductions to his work through runs on "The Punisher", but in recent years, I'd dare say he's one of the best current working artists in the medium.)  All I can say is PLEASE bring on the next trade collection, because this reading experience was totally worth it.  If you appreciate unique takes on the "Frontier Planet" angle, mysterious alien races and their secrets, and corporate conspiracies... with awesome characters that you can get behind, I highly recommend you try out the first graphic novel.  Now, on to today's actual subject.

Going back to my employment situation, I've often tried thinking about worst-case situations that at least I'm currently spared.  And it's through my reading of Bronze Age Superman stories that one immediately springs to mind:  I may not actively be employed, but at LEAST I'm not currently employed... and have to deal with someone on a daily basis that Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Lana Lang, just about anyone at WGBS... and even us unlucky readers... had to endure.  Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you the dread personage of Steve Lombard.
Steve Lombard first showed up in "Superman #264", whereupon he was a former football player irradiated by energies that created a "phantom" Steve that resumed his football career.  Steve took credit for the phantom's achievements, and the phantom went on a rampage that Superman had to put a stop to.  Being found out as a fraud, Steve issued a public apology on WGBS, and since then owner Morgan Edge took pity on Stevie, he landed a job as the station's sports anchorman.
What followed was about a dozen years of torment for Steve's co-workers... especially Clark Kent... and those that bought Superman comics off the racks.  Y'see, Steve was your stereotypical full-of-himself jock archetype that reveled in coming on to anyone at WGBS that wore a skirt and had long hair.  (Which now makes me wonder what would've happened if Divine happened to visit the studio...)  So, whenever he appeared, you usually had a stretch where he would brag about his physical prowess, speak INSANELY condescendingly to female staffers, or would fulfill his other primary comic role... playing at least one prank on "mild mannered" Clark Kent seemingly every issue.  Steve Lombard is the co-worker you LOATHE to deal with; full of himself, thinking he's the most funny and charismatic being on two feet, and loves to semi-bully the one person in the office that is generally efficient, but doesn't make many waves.  Even VERY near to the first DC Crisis point, there was an attempt to garner sympathy for Steve by having him lose his broadcasting job, and flounder from position to position.  But it's pretty darned hard to feel bad for someone that's acted like a royal schmuck for as long as we've known him.  Then, Crisis-time.  Steve Lombard was basically MIA up until around "Infinite Crisis".  Oh sure, he did pop up extremely sporadically in some "Superman" titles, but as a whole, he was a non-entity.  Which leads to his "rebooting".
When Steve came back, as a small favor, they toned down his "pick on Clark" character angle, but he was still an insufferable oaf.  The major changes were the ex-jock decided to grow a mustache, and... at the time... hit on a married woman in the personage of Lois Lane.  Thankfully Steve was not a constant character, but he did put in a lot more appearances between "Infinite Crisis" and the New 52 than he did during his Crisis holding pattern.

Apparently his obnoxiousness did not go unnoticed by the Warner Bros. media empire.  Not ONCE did Steve appear in any of the Christopher Reeve's "Superman" films, nor any of the successive cartoon or television series.  I believe his first animated appearance was either in "All Star Superman" or "Superman Unbound", and his thus ONLY live-action appearance was in the recent "Man of Steel".
So apparently, for all the weird decisions media executives make, they are apparently inclined to enough clarity to keep Steve Lombard as far away from the general public as possible. 

And what's my take on Steve Lombard as a character?  If he was used sparingly during his Bronze Age life, he could've just been an amusing meathead character to liven up the WGBS scenes.  But having him appear nearly EVERY SINGLE ISSUE of "Action Comics" and "Superman", up to his usual tricks... It really was like being in the office with this jerk, and there's nothing I would've liked to have done more than giving Human Resources about a full shifts time with reasons as to why he should be out on his butt, panhandling ASAP!




No comments:

Post a Comment