Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Reading Rainbow... Or I'm Too Tired for an Focused Conversation

Before you ask, no... I do not own this book, nor have I read it, but considering I've not read enough parody comics, it might warrant some hunting time and attention.  Nope, this just came up as an image result for "Yawning Comic Book Characters" for today's post.  The nice thing about this blog is I believe that even if I have a day where I am just BONE-WEARY, I can still find an easy go-to for posting; talking about what I read.  So, I offer up to you people my lightening thoughts on three comics I digested, while slurping down a Starbucks Valencia Orange Refresher.  (Yes, I know I've NO RIGHT to be this tired on a Saturday, but when your girlfriend has to get up for work at about 4:30am, and you already had issues staying asleep at about 3:00am... It's shaping up to be a rough AM and PM for you, buddy!)

1. "Fantastic Four #20"- The "Heroes Return" series:
Sigh... Normally I really enjoy Chris Claremont as a writer.  Hell, I didn't even object to his including some of his own Claremont-esque concepts into the FF title, thus far.  But this issue... It's weird that I get the feeling that a lot happened in the story, but not much of it made a lot of sense, and it wasn't exactly entertaining.  It may be just because Claremont keeps introducing elements that I just don't care about.  Even the "shocking" appearance of another Richards child from the future didn't do much to stir my attention.  I think a key factor is the FF's main story deals with a group of villains in France called the Ruined that are busy reforming the city to their own designs.  Never heard of the Ruined?  That's because they aren't worth remembering.  But, at least for some small amusement, this comic did have Jean Reno show up as himself... as chief of French police.  Yep...

2. "Spider-Man #17"- The McFarlane created...and then ditched... adjective-less series from the 90's:
This is an odd bird of a book.  Then again, with Ann Nocenti writing it, would you expect any different?  It's odd in that Spidey dies in the book.  I mean literally, he dies saving a mother and her daughter from a Freon explosion.  It's also odd that this book features a massively powered-up Thanos... still courting Death... pretty much right after the "Infinity Gauntlet" wrapped up.  Er... Continuity?  It may be bias on my part, because unlike my previously stated goodwill towards Claremont, Nocenti doesn't really receive any of that.  I didn't like what she did on "Daredevil" when she was writing the title, and nothing since then has endeared me to her writing style.  So with this book, you get a bunch of philosophizing about death, human nature, sacrifice... and a random fight with Thanos.  Doesn't make a lot of sense?  You betcha!  At least the Rick Leonardi artwork looks pretty nice!

3. "Sub-Mariner #8"- Namor's first full-length solo series!
YEAH!  Now we're talking, baby!  "Rascally" Roy Thomas giving us a tale of Namor's past, how it ties into his then-present, and presenting an always-enjoyable slobber-knocker between two familiar dancing partners: Namor and Ben Grimm AKA The Even Lovin' Blue Eyed Idol O' Millions Thing!  John Buscema... for an artist that really didn't enjoy working on modern-day superhero books, he sure knew how to give the series he worked on such a great energy and spark!  I did like how the book did deal with the after-effects of Namor's battle with Senator-elect Paul Destine, and also provided a branch to his past that actually did reasonably interact with this issue's present.  (Though odd that I never know... beforehand... Namor had a love before the lovely Dorma entered his life.  And even though her name was Betty Dean, I kept wanting to call her Paula Deen.  Namor's the only living being that could endure that many recipes featuring whole sticks of butter...)  And as previously mentioned, the Thing and Namor tear up the town... and injure an obnoxious bystander Hippie!  What's not to love?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment