Tuesday, June 17, 2014

All-New All-Different Adventure in the Mighty Metal Mikey Tradition!

Greetings, true believers!  ... Okay, I know what you're already thinking: "Metal Mikey, you idjit, you PROMISED a return to Action Attraction in blog form!  What. The. Hell?!?".  I believe that, with my real-world stresses of the past... holy crap, I'm nearing the YEAR ANNIVERSARY of when things started to turn difficult, I've yet to really rekindle my genuine love of Action movies.  The interest is there, but they've not really been part of my daily escape from the weight and grind of what you probably already know about.  What HAS been that escape... every single day in one form or another... is comic books.   Hence, the birth of this blogging venture of mine.  First, a little bit of a background.  Or origin story.  Or if you're stupid like Marvel, a 0.1 issue.

I really can't remember the first comic book I've owned.  To me, comics have been as much of a part of my life as eating, breathing, or going to the bathroom.  (Yes, AA followers... I'll probably bring up a few bathroom stories on the blog, as well.  Such as my birthday holocaust.  Olive burgers, French fries, and peach juice equals 3 times the fecal flood in the span of 12 hours.)  I like to believe one of my major introductory factors in comic-dom were cartoons.  When I was but an even Babier Skeletor, I lived in a television world where I could occasionally catch "The Super Friends", "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends", "Incredible Hulk", or the live action shows of "Incredible Hulk" and "Wonder Woman".  Mmm... Lynda Carter...
What was I talking about?  Oh yes... Even as a little boy, I could recognize the power of these brightly-colored characters.  They fueled my imagination, and I also have comics to thank as a major factor for my general interest in actual literature, PERIOD. 

The time period I grew up in was pretty influential for comics.  They began to mature with their readers, they started to expand further into other media, they became iconic figures for people that didn't even follow the books.  As many grievances as I could list about the state of current comic publishing, I can't deny that as a comic book fan, I live in a pretty spectacular time for my interest.  And the great thing about the medium is it never really faded away from my interest.  Oh sure, there were passages of time where I didn't actively collect books, either due to financial limitations, or just the general "awkwardness" of growing up, but even in those passages, I still could find myself going over my already owned material, or sampling the expanding availability of comic collections through the library system.  No matter how difficult life got, or continues to get, it's going to be a comic book world that I just live in.

So... Why write this blog in the first place?  I still want to give you people a taste of the "Metal Mikey" flavor of commentary.  I might try to "clean it up" a bit more for this blog's sake, because I feel that like the best comic literature, it should be of a general age appeal.  But rest assured, whenever I bring up a subject, I'll still run at the mouth with my general stupidity.  And immature commentary.  See above thoughts on Lynda Carter.  Plus, it allows me to talk about something that has truly become a passion for me in these recent times.  Comics... I kid you not... are part of my daily existence.  They allow me bite-sized escapes from the "real world", where it sometimes feels like having Galactus stop by for a snack would be a blessing.  I may waver in tastes about what movies I watch, or what my general literature interests lie, but sure as you can always count on spotting Kal-El soaring above Metropolis on a given day, my undying love for comics as an art form are just as reliable.

What is the goal of the blog?  Sometimes I'll talk about specific characters.  Sometimes I'll talk about teams.  Sometimes I'll talk about creators.  Sometimes I'll have a bug up my butt to talk about a specific book of note.  Or I'll even talk about movie reviews related to comics.  As long as the subject holds interest to me, and relates to the topic at hand, I'll bring it up.  How regularly will I post?  I REALLY want to hold myself to a more established standard of regularity than I did with Action Attraction.  That means if I really have to whip myself into shape to post at LEAST 3-4 times in a week, so be it. 

What was the genesis of this blog?  I think the real spark was being able to find these on my birthday, this past Friday:

Did I need to spend the money that's become oh-so-tight to my recent times?  Probably not.  But finding these books for MUCH less than some prices I've seen listed on various auction sites, in their original tabloid format, on my date of birth... Well, you can't beat that as a sign that maybe talking about something that's proven to be a mental survival mechanism for myself would be an excellent way to express myself.

I can't honestly come up with a better conclusion for this inaugural posting to the blog!  So until next time, which will be VERY soon, if not even tomorrow, stay loose True Believers, because the good times are about to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment